Here are the projects the Cooks are currently working on:
Backpack Buddies At Three Elementary Schools
We provide a weekly bag of child-friendly food for children identified by the school counselors as being at risk of being hungry over the weekend. We also provide hygiene kits and coats and shoes as needed. We currently provide food for children at Grantswood Community School, McAdory Elementary, and Tarrant Elementary.
We provide meals and other supplies for the residents of this shelter, who have been rescued from human trafficking. The ladies cook with us on Fridays, and we maintain contact and support for many of those who have graduated from the program and begun living independently. Our mid-day lunch and prayer time with these ladies is one of our favorite times. Each December we also host a luncheon and one day pop-up shop as a fundraiser for The WellHouse. In 2018 we raised $17,000 at the lunch and shop.
First Responders Ministry
Each month we provide cakes and occasional meals as thanks and encouragement for first responders in our community, including local fire stations, police, state troopers, sheriffs and the National Guard Base.
UAB Pediatric Oncology Parent Support Group
We provide dinner once a month for this group which meets at Children’s Hospital.
UAB/Children’s Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Each year we provide all of the side dishes for the Thanksgiving Feast for families with infants in the NICU.
Camp Seale Harris
We sponsor two children to attend this camp for children with Type 1 Diabetes.
We sponsor breakfast three days a week for M-Power’s GED students. Previously, we purchased tablet computers for their job readiness program.
Red Mountain Grace
We provide freezer food for clients of two Red Mountain Grace apartments. Red Mountain Grace provides apartments around Birmingham for those in town for long-term medical treatments.
Alabama Head Injury Foundation
We provide periodic meals for the support group for this worthwhile organization which provides support and assistance with traumatic brain injuries.
We always welcome new people to join us in our work. Our volunteers range in age from middle school to retirees, and include men and women. While some of us enjoy cooking, others help with shopping, making deliveries, washing dishes and in many other aspects of our work. Everyone is welcome, and there is a job for everyone! If you would like to help in anyway, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or see our Facebook page or Instagram for the latest news.
You can help!
- Foremost, pray for us to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and to share the gospel with those we work with, and those we encounter as we shop, etc.
- Participate in the monthly food sale on the third Wednesday of each month. The food sales provide all of the funds for these projects.
- Come help us cook. We cook on the first and second Friday of each month, and every Friday in October and November. Everyone is welcome to help, and there is a job for everyone, even if you don’t cook. You can sign up here!
- Help us deliver Backpack Buddies to Grantswood Community School by visiting this link.
- Help us bake and deliver cakes to first responders. Contact Jane Hauth at email@example.com to sign up.