We have a partnership with Grantswood Community School, a K-2 school in Irondale. Visit our Love Grantswood page to learn more about how you might get involved with Grantswood!
Cooks On a Mission
Cooks On A Mission is a group of Mountain Brook Baptist members who try to be the hands and feet of Jesus locally by supporting organizations and ministries in Birmingham, either monetarily or with donations of food. We fund our mission work by cooking and selling food items on the third Wednesday of each month, outside of Heritage Hall before and after the mid-day and evening church services. Typically we offer a casserole such as Baked Ziti or Boeuf Bourguignon, a soup, and a breakfast item such as scones. All of our food is homemade, using fresh ingredients and no preservatives. Most items come in several sizes, to suit both small and large households.
Here are some of the projects we are currently working on:
- Backpack Buddies at Helena Intermediate School: We provide a weekly bag of child-friendly food for 22 children identified by the school counselor as being at risk of being hungry over the weekend. We also provide hygiene kits and coats and shoes as needed.
- The WellHouse: We provide meals and other much-needed supplies for the residents of this shelter, who have been rescued from human trafficking. In addition to undergarments, we also provide copies of the Jesus Calling devotional for use in their individual Bible studies, and meals for the residents. In 2015 we purchased a freezer for The WellHouse, and we keep it stocked with food items to help feed the ladies who reside in one of their four homes.
- MPower Ministries: We provide lunch monthly and breakfast three days for MPower’s GED students. We recently also provided funding for MPower to purchase Windows-based tablets for students in their Ready to Work Program, which teaches students the Microsoft Office suite of products, to help them become employable.
- Children’s Hospital Pediatric Oncology Parent Support Group. We provide dinner once a month for this group
- UAB Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: Each year we provide all of the side dishes for the NICU’s Thanksgiving Feast for families with infants in the NICU.
- First Light Shelter: We serve dinner or breakfast at the shelter from time to time, and provide House Warming baskets with basic supplies for women transitioning from the shelter to apartments or homes of their own. These baskets include sheets, towels, plates, flatware and basic kitchen items. We provide high chairs for use at the shelter, and provide coats and other supplies that the shelter needs, such as laundry kits of detergent and dryer sheets.
- The Firehouse Shelter: We periodically provide meals at the shelter, along with hygiene kits for the men.
Many of the “Cooks” enjoy cooking, but others help with shopping, making deliveries, and in other aspects of our work. Everyone is welcome, and there is a job for everyone! If you would like to help in any way, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year we have a great opportunity for fun and fellowship at the Pine Tree Country Club with our Missions Golf Tournament to raise money for missions. It is a beautiful course and players come each year from all over the country to participate. Click on the link below to see some pictures of our players and teams from this April's event.